About the Area
- Growing Economy - A high growth rate, a resilient manufacturing sector and increasing numbers of business developments.
- A Growing Population - Approximately 178,000 people live in St.Helens with growing internal migration.
- Well Connected - St.Helens lies at the heart of the North West with strong and growing strategic road and rail access.
- More Homes - Over 2,300 new homes built since 2013/14.
- A Safe Place to Live - Crime rates are generally lower than those of our statistical neighbours and people reportedly feeling safe.
- Healthcare - We have an award winning health and care integration service.
- A Green Place - Over half our Borough is rural with many quality parks and open spaces.
- At the heart of the North West and well connected
- Strong economic growth prospects
- A good place to live
- Some challenges we are determined to overcome
- An Ageing Population - Our population is ageing faster than many other areas, creating high demand for health and care services.
- Deprivation - There are relatively high levels of deprivation and inequality to be found in areas of the borough.
- Poor Health - Average levels of life expectancy are lower than they are regionally and nationally, and vary significantly within the borough.
- Worklessness -There are still lower numbers of people in work, higher numbers of people on out of work benefits and less economic activity than the national average.
- Low Attainment and Skill Levels - Although having shown improvement, school attainment and adult skill levels lag behind the national averages, particularly higher level skills for specialist sectors.
- High Demand for Children’s Services - There are high numbers of children in the care system and children and families requiring social care support.
Other useful links
|St Helens Area Profile|